Popular Posts

Sunday, March 27, 2011

AN ODD ODE

AN ODD ODE...
“Just pull the lever”, that’s all I do,
My work is no science, none like done by special few…
What follows is the death of a legal offender…that is what the judiciary says
I witness, or better still, I cause their demise each day,
I am the death executioner, the HANGMAN of the country prison
I am liable to no dreams, got no promotions to envision!!
Every day, a new wrongdoer stands next to me, hands tied behind,
To the black blindfold and garland of noose, his fate resigned…
I never heard a word from them before,
But today he said, “Regret has no cure”             
Still, the support to his feet solely holds his living corpse,
Hence I pull the lever, and his neck warps,
A surge of sin baffles me each time...
I pity how dearth for food, has made me accomplices in crime
Every day trotting my way back, late, after another addition to the death list…
I see this lady recite a story to her little one, Jaon, about, “Bad men exist”,
She would move to and fro on the porch, enjoying the rapt attention the kid gave…
She would say, not following the deity, sends you early to the grave..
Both would then fold hands , look up high..
She would state, “Joan,close your eyes,
Bless us god and also the sinners,
For they don’t know, the wrong they do,
Also bless those who doubt you”
In respite, with their words, I would close my eyes along..
For a sinner like me, everyday, at least, someone hums a song…
I have never said this before,but today, I say it to you,
To Joan and her mom, “thankyou"

1 comment: